Prep 0 mins
Cook 3 hrs
For ZWT6. From allbritishfood.com Note: Aug. 17th, 2011 -- We loved this dish. With the 2- 2 1/2 hours of cooking the meat is very tender and the gravy this makes is so delicious, used a slice of bread to soak up the extra gravy on plate.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs chuck roast (stewing steak)
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 1 small onion
- 1⁄4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tablespoon prepared mustard
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- 1 3⁄4 cups water (about)
- 1 beef bouillon cube, crumbled (stock cube)
- salt and pepper
- Cut chuck steak into 1 inches cubes.
- In a saucepan melt shortening, add the onions and meat and brown for 5 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add the flour and mix well. Add the rest of the ingredients and bring to the boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce the heat cover with a lid. Simmer very gently, stirring occasionally, for 2 - 2 1/2 hours or until the meat is tender.
- Season to taste. Turn into a warm casserole and serve immediately.
- It suggests to serve this with either plain boiled or creamed potatoes and buttered cabbage or spring greens.
Loved this recipe! It's super easy to get on the stove & then just cooks itself! The meat was perfectly tender and the flavor reminded us of our favorite Salisbury steak recipe, without all the work! ;) Made just as directed & served it with Scottish Kilkenney (A Different Version of Mashed Potatoes). Delicious! Thanks for posting, ML6! Made & enjoyed for ZWT-6 Team Xtra Hot Dishes! :)
|I have to tell you that I am not a fan of stew, that said, I loved this dish, it was awesome. Quick and easy to make with terrific results. The meat was tender and fall apart good, the sauce was to die for, it had so much flavor. I served this with Devonshire Stew, a mixture of potatoes, cabbage and onion. It was so good together. We cleaned our plates in record time. Of course dh has asked that I make this again and I have happily agreed. Thanks for sharing this wonderful recipe MomLuvs6. Made for the Fearless Red Dragons - ZWT8 - Great Britain
I can't figure out why mine came out so much lighter than Tink's when I used all ask for ingerdients, lol. Be that as it may, my DH especially loved this. The meat was melt in your mouth tender and the taste was a nice change from the usual. After you have it in the pot there is nothing to do but checking occasionally and adding a little water if need be. It may take 3 hrs but that isn't intensive labor or watching. Made fro ZWT 8.