Recipe by ratherbeswimmin'
Top Review by Kat R
This cake was fantastic! I have been fighting a seemingly never ending battle with dry cakes, but this one lived up to it's name. It was very moist and relatively easy to make. I did make it as cupcakes rather than a cake, though, so the cook time was different. As cupcakes, I found that 20 min was a good amount of time. This is now my go-to chocolate cake recipe!
- 1 1⁄3 cups all-purpose flour
- 3⁄4 cup natural cocoa powder (not Dutch processed)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons baking powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 2⁄3 cups sugar
- 1⁄3 cup safflower oil
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄3 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 cup boiling water
Directions See How It's Made
- Position oven rack in the center of the oven; preheat oven to 325°; grease bottom and sides of a 9x3 inch round cake pan; dust the pan with flour and set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, and salt the bowl of an electric mixer.
- Add the sugar, and using the paddle attachment, mix at low speed until blended.
- Add the safflower oil and mix a few seconds, until the dry ingredients are crumbly.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs until blended.
- Whisk in the milk and vanilla extract until blended.
- With the mixer at low speed, add the egg mixture to the flour mixture and mix until blended, scraping down the sides of bowl as needed.
- Gradually add the boiling water and mix just until blended and smooth; scraping down sides as needed.
- Pour batter into cake pan.
- Bake for 45-55 minutes, until a pick comes out clean.
- Cool in the pan on a wire rack for 20 minutes.
- Invert cake onto the wire rack and cool completely.
- Frost as desired.