Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr 15 mins
My mum has made this for years - I think it comes from a Family Circle box of recipes on individual cards that she has had for as long as I can remember. I love it as it reminds me of home!
- 1360.77 g chicken pieces, skin on
- 29.58 ml oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 4.92 ml oil, extra
- 29.58 ml lemon juice
- 14.79 ml grated fresh lemon rind
- 236.59 ml tomato sauce
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 4.92 ml dry mustard
- 4.92 ml curry powder
- 29.58 ml vinegar
- 4.92 ml soy sauce
- salt, pepper
- Cook chicken in hot oil until golden, then remove from heat, drain and place in casserole or baking dish.
- Cook onion and garlic in extra oil until transparent, add lemon juice, lemon rind, tomato sauce, brown sugar, mustard, curry powder, vinegar, soy sauce, salt and pepper.
- Cover and bring to boil, then remove from heat and pour over chicken pieces.
- Bake, covered in a moderate oven 1 to 1 and a quarter hours or until chicken is tender.
What a lovely change from the usual creamy chicken recipes. It had so much flavour - devilishly good! I look forward to making this again.
Was absolutly delicious. Thank You. Substituted sausages for the chicken. It was a last minute idea to cook sausages different. Didn't have any dry mustard in the cupboard so substituted dijon mustard instead. Cooked it in the microwave for 15 minutes...quick & easy & as I said delicious.
We all really enjoyed this chicken thank you. It was simple, and the sauce was really well flavoured. Russell used a hot mustard, so that and the curry gave it a really nice bite. I removed the chicken and reduced the sauce before serving it over mashed potatoes for a really good winter meal.