Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
From The Magnolia Bakery; they recommend icing with Caramel Frosting.
- 2 cups cake flour (not self-rising)
- 1 cup unsweetened dutch cocoa
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup unsalted butter, softened
- 1 1⁄2 cups firmly packed light brown sugar
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 3 large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 1⁄2 cups buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350°; line 3 12-cup muffin tins with cupcake papers; set aside.
- Sift together the flour, cocoa, baking soda, and salt into a bowl; set aside.
- In a big bowl, cream the butter (on medium speed) until smooth; add in the sugars and beat 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Add in the eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add the dry ingredients in 3 parts, alternating with the buttermilk and vanilla.
- With each addition, beat until the ingredients are incorporated, but do not overbeat.
- Using a rubber spatula, scrape down the batter in the bowl, making sure the ingredients are well blended.
- Carefully spoon batter in the cupcake liners, filling ¾ full.
- Bake 25-30 minutes or until pick comes out clean.
- Cook cupcakes in tins for 15 minutes; remove from tins and cool completely on wire rack before icing.