These are like a lemon version of brownies. From the The Baking Sheet published by King Arthur flour. I haven't tried making these using the optional nuts.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar (7 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup melted unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces)
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts (3 ounces( optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 ounce)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (2 ounces( optional)
- Preheat oven to 325. Butter a 9" square pan.
- Beat the eggs until light and thick.
- Add the sugar and beat well. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and melted butter, beating to combine.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. If using, stir in the nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 36 minutes or until the center is no longer wobbly and the cake just begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
- To make the glaze, stir together the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice.
- Spread on cake. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, if using. Cut into 16 squares.