Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
These are like a lemon version of brownies. From the The Baking Sheet published by King Arthur flour. I haven't tried making these using the optional nuts.
- 3 large eggs
- 1 cup sugar (7 ounces)
- 1⁄4 cup lemon juice (2 ounces)
- 1 tablespoon lemon zest
- 3⁄4 cup melted unsalted butter (1 1/2 sticks, 6 ounces)
- 1 3⁄4 cups all-purpose flour (7 1/2 ounces)
- 1⁄2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 3⁄4 cup chopped nuts (3 ounces( optional)
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice (1 ounce)
- 1 cup confectioners' sugar (4 ounces)
- 1⁄2 cup chopped nuts (2 ounces( optional)
- Preheat oven to 325. Butter a 9" square pan.
- Beat the eggs until light and thick.
- Add the sugar and beat well. Add the lemon juice, lemon zest and melted butter, beating to combine.
- Stir in the flour, baking powder and salt. If using, stir in the nuts.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake for 30 to 36 minutes or until the center is no longer wobbly and the cake just begins to pull away from the sides of the pan.
- Remove from the oven and cool on a rack.
- To make the glaze, stir together the confectioners' sugar and the lemon juice.
- Spread on cake. Sprinkle with chopped nuts, if using. Cut into 16 squares.
Very, VERY good!
OUTSTANDING LEMON BARS! I did use a rounded measure of zest & also included a rounded teaspoon of it in the glaze, so these were pucker-ful of lemony flavor! Also used toasted almonds for the nuts! Definitely a keeper for me! Thanks for sharing! [Tagged, made & reviewed for one of my adoptees in the current Pick-A-Chef]
It really is like a lemon brownie! It's a nice chewy, lemony cake that isn't difficult to make. Make sure that you spread the batter into the corners of the tin because it won't spread much by itself while cooking. Update: I made this again using chopped glace ginger instead of the nuts and it was good!