Prep 2 hrs
Cook 1 hr
There is none better in my opinion.
- 6 cups mashed peaches
- 1 cup sugar
- 3 eggs
- 1 1⁄2 cups sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 quart milk
- 1 cup whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
- Add peaches and 1 cup sugar to a large bowl; stir to mix well; set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs using an electric mixer until they are frothy.
- In another bowl, mix together 1 1/2 cup sugar, flour, and salt.
- Gradually add sugar mixture to eggs, beating using electric mixer until thick.
- Add in milk; mix well.
- Pour egg mixture into a large pot; cook over low heat and stir constantly, about 15 minutes or until the mixture thickens and coats a metal spoon.
- Remove pot from heat and set in cold water; stir gently until mixture is cool.
- Add in cream and vanilla; stir to combine.
- Add in peaches; stir to combine.
- Pour mixture into the container of a 1-gallon electric ice cream freezer.
- Freeze according to the machine's directions.
- Let ripen at least 1 hour.
I usually don't make ice cream recipe that require cooking the mix. this one turned out great. I took it to a friends house and they argued over who was taking the left overs. will definitely make it again.
This is the best ice cream, of any flavor, I've ever had in my (over half-century) life! Other than scaling the recipe down to fit my ice cream machine, I did not change anything. This recipe has got it just right. Because the thin custard uses a little flour, it is not too eggy. The peach flavor is just wonderful. I made it up in the evening, chilled it well in the refrigerator, and froze it the next day. If you have good peaches, try this. You'll thank me. But first, I have to thank Nurse Di.
Why would you put wheat flour in ice cream? People with celiac disease would eat it and get sick. I would suggest when you do make it, you tell any guests what it contains. I would never think ice cream would be on my endangered list.