Recipe by L DJ
An easy sunday supper. You can use any cooked chicken. I've used anything from canned chicken to what I had left from KFC (including the crispy crust) to cooked up boneless chicken.
Top Review by Nickeletta
I used all ingredients I've had in the house so I took some liberties with your recipe... for starters what I thought was chicken was turkey when it thawed. I used light sour cream and recipe #25653 for the cream of chicken soup, and did not add milk to this mix as it seemed pretty thin already. I didn't have any bacon so I started with the onion. Nor did I have celery, green pepper or mushrooms.I don't like mushrooms so I wouldn't miss those anyways. No broccoli either- so I used a blend of corn, green beans, peas, and carrots. I added a sprinkling of Penzey's Mural of Flavor. My mash potatoes had been frozen and didn't need any extra liquid so I only used 1 egg and left out the milk. I mixed in the cheddar cheese as well as some garlic salt- no pimentoes or french fried onion either. I assembled everything into 4 individual casserole... and they are in the fridge just waiting for dinner time.
- 3 slices bacon
- 1⁄4 cup chopped onion
- 1⁄2 cup chopped celery
- 1⁄4 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 cups broccoli, in small florettes
- 1 (4 ounce) cansliced mushrooms, drained
- 1 (10 1/2 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 3 cups cooked cubed chicken
- 2 teaspoons Worcestershire sauce
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 3 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 eggs, slightly beaten
- 1⁄4 cup milk
- 1 tablespoon chopped pimiento
- 1 cup shredded cheddar cheese
- 1 can durkees French-fried onions
Directions See How It's Made
- Fry bacon in skillet until crisp.
- Remove and drain on paper towels.
- Saute onion, celery, green pepper mushrooms and broccoli flowerettes in bacon dripping until tender.
- Do not brown.
- Combine soup and sour cream in a bowl.
- Add chicken, Worcestershire sauce, pepper, 1TBL milk, and sauteed vegetables; mix well.
- Turn into a 2 quart greased casserole.
- Combine mashed potatoes with eggs, crumbled bacon, milk, pimentos, and cheese; mix until just blended.
- Spread on top of casserole.
- Top with Durkee onions.
- Cover loosely with foil.
- (remove foil 10-15 minutes before end of baking.) Bake in moderate oven 350' degrees for 45 minutes or until bubbly.
- and top is nicely browned.