Recipe by Rita~
No breading just yummy veggies and sausage giving the filling crispness and the mushroom retain a soft juicy texture. No added fat or salt needed for the sausage and cheese supply enough..
Top Review by Irish by Marriage
I've made this recipe a couple of times now for an appetizer to share at group functions. ( I was tired of there not being any gluten free appetizers at these get togethers). They are easy to make and for some reason I get about 24 mushrooms out of a single recipe. I buy large mushrooms but not the gigantic ones! Anyway, they are always a hit whether you need gluten free or not. Be sure to serve with a napkin as they are always juicy! I use the hot sausage, red, yellow or orange bell pepper and it's ok to add more mozzarella than it calls for!
- 12 -14 large fresh mushrooms, stems removed saving 1 cup diced stems (1-1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 lb hot sausage, removed from casing
- 4 ounces onions, minced
- 3 ounces bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian spices
- 2 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 10x13 oven proof dish.
- Over medium high heat in a large hot pan saute the sausage while browning crumble the meat with a wooden spoon. Cook for 4 minutes. Blot the grease of the sausage with paper toweland discard. Add onions and peppers cook for 3 minutes.
- Add diced mushroom stems and garlic sauteing and stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and herbs simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add mozzarella cheese mixing in to melt(this is the binder).
- Fill stuffing the shrooms with filling mounding up nice and full.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and place on a serving platter pour juices over the shrooms.