No breading just yummy veggies and sausage giving the filling crispness and the mushroom retain a soft juicy texture. No added fat or salt needed for the sausage and cheese supply enough..
- 12 -14 large fresh mushrooms, stems removed saving 1 cup diced stems (1-1 1/2 pounds)
- 1 lb hot sausage, removed from casing
- 4 ounces onions, minced
- 3 ounces bell peppers, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1⁄2 cup diced tomato
- 1⁄2 teaspoon dried Italian spices
- 2 fresh basil leaves, chopped
- 5 ounces mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 tablespoon grated parmesan cheese
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a 10x13 oven proof dish.
- Over medium high heat in a large hot pan saute the sausage while browning crumble the meat with a wooden spoon. Cook for 4 minutes. Blot the grease of the sausage with paper toweland discard. Add onions and peppers cook for 3 minutes.
- Add diced mushroom stems and garlic sauteing and stirring for 3 minutes.
- Add tomatoes and herbs simmer for 4 minutes.
- Remove from heat and add mozzarella cheese mixing in to melt(this is the binder).
- Fill stuffing the shrooms with filling mounding up nice and full.
- Sprinkle with grated cheese.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Remove and place on a serving platter pour juices over the shrooms.
I've made this recipe a couple of times now for an appetizer to share at group functions. ( I was tired of there not being any gluten free appetizers at these get togethers). They are easy to make and for some reason I get about 24 mushrooms out of a single recipe. I buy large mushrooms but not the gigantic ones! Anyway, they are always a hit whether you need gluten free or not. Be sure to serve with a napkin as they are always juicy! I use the hot sausage, red, yellow or orange bell pepper and it's ok to add more mozzarella than it calls for!
Made this recipe for my church group christmas party as one of our members cannot have gluten. They were a huge hit!! We did use sweet sausage as hot was not available and red bell pepper instead of green. So good, this is a keeper. *This was an adult only party but my friend took the leftovers home and her kids loved the stuffing!*
A wonderfully yummy recipe that I'll certainly make again! :) I made this not because I specifically needed a gluten-free or egg-free recipe but because to me - as a mushroom-lover - it sounded really SO very delicious. I scaled it back to 3 mushrooms for two of us, served with rice, which made a really filling meal. I used chicken and chive sausages, not a hot variety (zero tolerance of heat) and diced red pepper. Even for this reduced quantity, I still used the 2 cloves of garlic as we love garlic. A great blend of flavours. Thanks for sharing this super recipe, Rita! Made for Newest Zaar Tag.