Prep 30 mins
Cook 30 mins
I had nothing to put in my Spanish Cookbook for ZWT5 so I went on a hunt. Pre vegetarian days I had been a huge fan of a seafood Paella. I found this fantastic recipe and wanted to share. As is it is a fantastic vegan paella but I imagine an meat lover could very easily adapt it as they see fit! Just a Note: I had so often put of making recipes that required 'peeled' tomatoes until I found an easy and fool proof moethos that you can find in my publci recipes titled 'How to Skin Tomatoes'
- 1⁄4 cup olive oil
- 5 minced garlic cloves
- 1 large yellow onion, chopped
- 4 cups vegetable broth
- 2 cups rice (uncooked)
- 4 medium tomatoes, skinned, seeded and chopped
- 1 small red bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small green bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 small yellow bell pepper, seeded and cut into thin strips
- 1 cup green peas
- 2 cups artichoke hearts, tough outer leaves removed and quartered
- 1 lemon
- lemon wedge, to garnish
- Heat the olive oil in a paella pan and sauté the onion and garlic until the onion is tender and translucent. At the same time, heat the broth in a separate saucepan until simmering.
- Pour the rice into the paella pan and sauté for about 3 minutes.
- Add the bell peppers and tomatoes and cook for a further 3 minutes.
- Add the simmering vegetable broth and cook over medium heat for 20 minutes or until almost tender and almost all the liquid has been absorbed.
- Stir in the peas.
- Sprinkle the artichoke hearts with a few drops of lemon juice and arrange over the rice in an attractive pattern. Continue cooking until the liquid has been absorbed and the rice is tender.
- Serve the paella straight from the pan, garnished with lemon wedges.