I got this recipe from an Italian friend. You might find the addition of cream cheese unusual, but it is really delicious!
- 1 lb lasagna noodle
- 1 lb lean ground beef, cooked and crumbled
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 2 medium green peppers, chopped
- 2 cups fresh mushrooms, sliced
- 1 (16 ounce) container ricotta cheese
- 2 lbs mozzarella cheese, shredded
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 2 (28 ounce) cans tomato puree
- olive oil, enough to saute vegetables
- salt, to taste
- pepper, to taste
- garlic powder, to taste
- oregano, powder to taste
- fresh sweet basil, chopped
- Boil lasagna noodles, according to package directions.
- Sauté beef, then add salt, pepper, and some of the pureed tomatoes. Sauté the veggies in olive oil, then add garlic powder and oregano powder. Mix the beef and veggies into one pan.
- In a separate bowl, mix the Ricotta cheese, cream cheese, and some fresh chopped basil.
- Putting the lasagna together:.
- First sauce the bottom of your lasagna pan.
- Next, add a layer of lasagna noodles, followed by a layer of meat and veggies.
- Add a layer of mixed cheese (Ricotta and cream cheese), then a layer of sauce.
- After that, add a layer of shredded mozzarella.
- Repeat these steps two more times to create three layers total.
- The last layer should be mozzarella.
- Cover and then place into a preheated oven at 350°F for 1 hour or until done to your liking.