Delicious Low Cholesterol Lasagna
- Ready In:
- 2hrs 50mins
- 8 ounces fresh baby bella mushrooms
- 1 medium red onion, chopped
- 8 garlic cloves, finely chopped
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3⁄4 lb lean ground buffalo meat
- 1 bunch fresh sage, finely chopped
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ginger
- 1 teaspoon fennel
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 2 fresh tomatoes, diced
- 6 ounces tomato paste
- 15 ounces tomato sauce
- 1 bunch fresh thyme, removed from stem and finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh oregano, removed from stem and finely chopped
- 1 bunch fresh basil, removed from the stem and finely chopped
- 2 fresh bay leaves
- 3⁄4 cup good cabernet sauvignon wine
- 3⁄4 lb grated fat free mozzarella cheese
- 4 tablespoons fresh curly-leaf parsley, finely chopped
- 24 ounces fat-free cottage cheese
- 4 egg whites
- 8 whole wheat lasagna noodles
- non stick aluminum foil
- Preheat oven for 350.
- Saute mushrooms, onion, and garlic in olive oil.
- Add buffalo meat, sage, nutmeg, ground mustard, ginger, fennel, salt, and pepper. Saute until buffalo meat is just browned. Do not overcook.
- Add tomatoes, tomato paste, tomato sauce, thyme, oregano, basil, bay leaves, and cabernet. Let simmer for at least and hour. I let it simmer for 2-3 hours and then store it in the fridge overnight. This allows for all of the flavors to really come out.
- Cook lasagna noodles according to package directions. Drain and set aside.
- Combine cottage cheese, 1/2 lb of the mozzarella, egg whites, and parsley.
- Pour 1/2 of sauce in baking dish.
- Top with 4 noodles, 1/2 the cottage cheese mixture, and the other 1/2 of the sauce.
- Add 4 more noodles, the rest of the cottage cheese mixture, and the remaining 1/4 lb of mozzarella.
- Cover dish with non-stick foil and cook for 30 minutes.
- Remove foil and cook for an additional 20 minutes.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!