Prep 1 hr
Cook 30 mins
I love panzerotti's cooked this way and ever since the pizza place that used to make them closed down I have been trying to figure out how to do them justice.I think I have come pretty close.Prep time will depend on whether you make your own dough. I use a bread maker which takes two hours for the dough.
- In sauce pan combine tomato sauce, water, lemon juice and spices bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering divide your dough into three parts then roll out each one making sure not to roll them out to thin.
- Allow the dough to rest.
- When sauce is ready add desired amount to middle of the pizza dough making sure to leave room around edge for folding.
- Top with cheese and pepperoni.
- Fold over and seal edges.
- Preheat oil in deep fryer or large pot to 375.
- Add panzerotti to heated oil cooking for 5 minutes then turn over and cook for another five.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towel.
- Let cool for a couple minutes before serving (leftover sauce can be used for dipping sauce).
Really good! I didn't deep fry them, however. Instead, I baked them and they were yummy!
This reminds me of the pizza turnovers we have at our local pizza shop. Very easy to make and would be very adaptable. I think I would like to try this again with sausage, green peppers and black olives. You have to be careful to leave a wide area around the edges or the dough will not seal properly. Made for PAC Spring, 2008.