Recipe by Ruffle-butt
I love panzerotti's cooked this way and ever since the pizza place that used to make them closed down I have been trying to figure out how to do them justice.I think I have come pretty close.Prep time will depend on whether you make your own dough. I use a bread maker which takes two hours for the dough.
- 1 lb pizza dough (store bought or homemade enough for large pizza)
- 1 (13 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried basil leaves
- 1⁄4 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1⁄4 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1 1⁄2 cups mozzarella cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In sauce pan combine tomato sauce, water, lemon juice and spices bring to a boil then reduce heat and simmer for 30 minutes.
- While the sauce is simmering divide your dough into three parts then roll out each one making sure not to roll them out to thin.
- Allow the dough to rest.
- When sauce is ready add desired amount to middle of the pizza dough making sure to leave room around edge for folding.
- Top with cheese and pepperoni.
- Fold over and seal edges.
- Preheat oil in deep fryer or large pot to 375.
- Add panzerotti to heated oil cooking for 5 minutes then turn over and cook for another five.
- Remove from oil and place on paper towel.
- Let cool for a couple minutes before serving (leftover sauce can be used for dipping sauce).