Prep 30 mins
Cook 1 hr
A lot of trial and error has led to our family favourite apple pie recipe. Use your favourite pie crust recipe (i'm still looking for mine)
- 7 -8 apples, peeled, cored, sliced (I use empire or McIntosh)
- 3⁄4 cup sugar
- 3 tablespoons tapioca (or flour)
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1⁄4 teaspoon nutmeg
- 1⁄4 teaspoon allspice
- 1 teaspoon almond extract
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon butter (chopped into 4-5 pieces)
- 1 tablespoon cream, and
- 1 teaspoon sugar, for crust
- Peel, core & slice apples.
- Place sliced apples in a bowl.
- Drizzle lemon juice over apples.
- Sprinkle in sugar, flour, cinammon,nutmeg and allspice.
- Mix together.
- Add 1 teaspoon almond extract and 4-5 pats of butter.
- Pour mixture into pie shell that has been lined with your favourite pie crust.
- Cover mixture with top crust.
- Brush cream on top crust, with pastry brush.
- Sprinkle with sugar.
- bake at 425 deg. for 20 min., then turn down to 375 deg. for 35-40 minute longer.
- Note: for 9" pie shell use 6 apples, 3/4 teaspoons cinnamon.
This was a very good apple pie, and i don't really like apple pie. The sugar on the crust was wonderful. i had issues getting my top crust on, so the picture isn't the prettiest, i always have issues with double crust pies, but the flavor was wonderful. It was very juicy and the spices were very good. Thanks for a great recipe!