Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
This is from Jessica Seinfeld's book. She serves it with a carrot cream cheese icing (posted separately)
- 5 large egg whites
- 3⁄4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1⁄2 cup sugar
- 1⁄4 cup cooked winter squash puree
- 1 teaspoon lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest or 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
- Preheat oven to 350. Line muffin cups with cupcake papers.
- In your mixer bowl, combine the egg whites, cream of tarter, and salt. Beat until the egg whites double in volume and form stiff peaks. (about 4 to 5 minutes).
- Add the flour, sugar, squash, extract and zest. Use a rubber spatula and fold gently to combine with the egg whites.
- Divide the batter among the cupcake tins. Bake until the tops of the cupcakes are lightly brown and spring back to the touch, about 18 to 20 minutes.
- Cool on a rack and then frost.
This recipe is great!! I made mine with a mashed riped banana and vanilla extract in replace of the squash and lemon.