Prep 10 mins
Cook 40 mins
I once had a recipe like this from a dear friend, but I misplaced the recipe. I was delighted to see it again in "Debbie Macomberr's Christmas Cookbook." Many will recognize Debbie's name as she is a popular women's writer.
- 2 1⁄2 cups fresh cranberries or 2 1⁄2 cups frozen cranberries
- 3⁄4 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup plus 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 12 talespooons unsalted butter, melted (1-1/2 sticks)
- 1⁄4 teaspoon almond extract
- 1 cup flour
- 1 pinch salt
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Have ready a 9" pie pan.
- In pie pan, combine cranberries, walnuts, and 1/2 cup sugar. toss until coated.
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs, melted butter, remaining sugar and extract until blended. Fold in flour and salt until combined. Pour the batter over the cranberry mixture. Bake for 40 minutes until crust is golden and fruit bubbles. Transfer to a wire rack to cool.
- VARIATION; In the summer try this substituting blueberries or strawberries, but cut the sugar added to the fruit in half.
I love this recipe! I make it for all my December Holiday parties and I'm always asked for the recipe. I always have Redi Whip for those that want to cut the tartness of the cranberries. Tonight I'm making it with strawberries for the first time.<br/><br/>My mom first found it in a Debbie Macomber romance book!