Recipe by Slatts
This is from a local radio station host here in San Diego. It is one of my hubby's all time favorite meals and the first thing he ever cooked for me when we first started dating. Enjoy!
Top Review by Kendra Jean's Kitchen
So, so good! I used beef cubed seaks (tenderized steaks) for this recipe. Had a request for gravy, so I thickened the juices and added some mushrooms. An excellent comfort food. Thank you for posting.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs beef, a thin cut
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 lb bacon, chopped, easier to do when still frozen
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup red wine
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garlic, minced
- 4 cups beef broth
- 1 teaspoon liquid smoke
- salt and pepper
- 2 cups cooked rice
Directions See How It's Made
- Pound the beef as thin as possible without creating holes. Cut into 3x3 inch pieces. Season with salt and pepper.
- Place a spoonful of onions and bacon on each piece of meat. Wrap each piece into a tight ball and secure with toothpicks.
- Heat olive oil in a medium sized sauce pan. Brown the meat in batches and set aside.
- Deglaze the sauce pan with the wine. Scrape all the brown bits off the bottom of the pan to get all the flavor.
- Add the garlic, beef broth, and liquid smoke to the sauce pan. Salt and pepper to taste.
- Return meat to the sauce pan and allow to simmer for at least 2 hours. The longer the better!
- Serve the meat over rice with some of the cooking juices.