Vegan Heart Attack Chocolate Doughnuts
- Ready In:
- 1hr 30mins
- 1 1⁄2 cups granulated beet sugar (you can use unrefined brown, too)
- 3 teaspoons Ener-G Egg Substitute, mixed with 4 tbsp water (equivalent of 2 eggs)
- 4 tablespoons non-hydrogenated vegan margarine or 4 tablespoons light vegetable oil
- 4 ounces unsweetened baking chocolate
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup soymilk, mixed with
- 1 teaspoon white vinegar
- 3 1⁄2 cups unbleached flour
- 3 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- Beat the egg replacer and sugar together until creamy in consistency.
- Melt the margarine and chocolate together in a small saucepan over low heat.
- Beat into the sugar mixture until well combined.
- Combine the soy milk, vinegar and vanilla.
- Stir this into the sugar/chocolate mixture.
- In another bowl, combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Stir this into the liquid mixture until it forms a dough.
- Chill this for about 1/2 hour to make it easier to handle.
- Roll 1/2 the dough out onto a lightly floured board to a 1/2" thickness.
- Cut out the doughnuts with a 3" diameter doughnut cutter (or regular, round cookie cutter).
- Let them rest for about 10 minutes before frying.
- Repeat with the rest of the dough.
- Deep fry in hot oil for about 90 seconds each, turning every 15 seconds.
- Remove from the hot oil and allow them to drain on paper towels.
- Cool, and ice, glaze or sprinkle with powdered sugar as per your desires.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
I was really excited about making vegan doughnuts -- chocolate to boot! Unfortunately, even though I followed the recipe exactly, and kept my oil at 375, these were the worst culinary disaster of my life. I got greasy globs with uncooked centers. So bad I threw away more than half the dough. Not sure what went wrong, but I'm going to look for a different recipe. Glad this works better for others, but it's not for me.
Totally awesome! I've been vegan for awhile now and love searching for new recipes and LOVE baking. My brother and I have been talking about how much we wish we could find a vegan doughnut and this recipe totally satisfied that craving! It's great! The first time I made them was for guests from the south, definitely anti-vegans and they loved it!! Make these beautiful doughnuts!!!