1/1 Photo of Daube De Boeuf a La Provencale
2 hrs 45 mins
2 hrs 15 mins
echo echo's Note:
This is a Julia Child recipe with the instructions rewritten slightly for concision. The preparation time does not include marinating time of at least 6 hours. Julia suggests serving with steamed rice, butter noodles, or boiled potatoes, French bread & Beaujolais, Mountain Red or rose wine.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 cups dry vermouth
- 1/4 cup brandy or 1/4 cup gin
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon thyme or 1/2 teaspoon sage
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 cups thinly sliced carrots
- 2 cups thinly sliced onions
- 3 lbs chuck steaks, cut in 2 ½ x 2 ½ x 1 inch squares
- salt and pepper
- 1 1/2 cups firm ripe tomatoes, peeled,seeded,and chopped
- 1 1/2 cups sliced fresh mushrooms
- beef bouillon, if necessary
- cornstarch, if necessary
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons capers
- 3 tablespoons Dijon mustard
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 cup minced fresh basil or 1/2 cup fresh parsley
- 1Mix olive oil through onions and marinate steak in refrigerator at least 6 hours, basting and turning meat several times.
- 2Scrape marinade off meat and reserve.
- 3Season meat lightly with salt and pepper; roll in flour and set aside on waxed paper.
- 4In a bowl toss marinade with tomatoes and mushrooms.
- 5Place 1/3 of mixed vegetables in bottom of 6 quart flame-proof casserole.
- 6Alternate layers of meat and vegetables, ending with vegetables.
- 7Pour in any left-over marinade.
- 8Cover, set over moderate heat and simmer 15 minutes.
- 9If vegetables have not rendered enough liquid to almost cover meat, add a little bouillon.
- 10Cover and simmer 1½-2 hours until meat is tender when pierced.
- 11Tip casserole, trim out fat and taste for seasoning.
- 12If liquid has not reduced and thickened, drain out into a saucepan and thicken with 1 Tbs cornstarch mixed with bouillon, boil 2 minutes, then pour into casserole.
- 13Chop or purée garlic and mash with capers.
- 14Beat in mustard.
- 15Gradually beat in olive oil to make a thick sauce.
- 16Stir in basil or parsley just before serving.
Browse Our Top Stew Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Daube De Boeuf a La Provencale
Serving Size: 1 (258 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 764.6
- Calories from Fat 505
- Total Fat 56.2 g
- Saturated Fat 19.6 g
- Cholesterol 156.4 mg
- Sodium 1151.2 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 12.9 g
- Dietary Fiber 3.0 g
- Sugars 5.6 g
- Protein 44.1 g
The following items or measurements are not included: