Prep 30 mins
Cook 44 mins
Posted by request
- 1 (19 1/2 ounce) package brownie mix
- 1⁄2 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1⁄4 cup dark rum
- 2 large eggs
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 4 (1 ounce) squares bittersweet chocolate, coarsely chopped
Chocolate Rum Glaze
- 1⁄2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons salted butter
- 2 tablespoons dark rum
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 1⁄2 cup semisweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350°; position oven rack in the lower third of the oven.
- Spray the bottom only of an 8-inch square baking pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, mix the brownie mix, melted butter, dark rum, eggs, and nutmeg with a wooden spoon until just blended and all dry ingredients are moistened; stir in chopped chocolate.
- Spread batter into prepared pan.
- Bake 40-44 minutes or until toothpick inserted 2 inches from side of pan comes out clean or almost clean (do not overbake).
- Transfer to a wire rack and cool for 15 minutes.
- Chocolate Rum Glaze: in a small saucepan set over medium-low heat combine the brown sugar, butter, rum, and milk.
- Cook, stirring constantly, until the mixture comes to a boil; boil, stirring constantly, 1 minute longer.
- Remove pan from heat and stir in the chocolate chips; stir the mixture until the chips are completely melted and the mixture is smooth; cool 5 minutes.
- Spread glaze over warm brownies; cool completely.
- Cut into squares-9 large or 16 small brownies.
I have actually made these several times but forgot to leave a review. These brownies are delicious! I have never actually used the nutmeg and I bake them in a 13x9" pan for about 25 minutes. They are always very moist and the chocolate rum glaze really makes them great, much better than regular frosting. I have gotten many compliments and requests to make them again. Thanks for the great recipe!