Prep 20 mins
Cook 2 hrs
Since I'm not a expert on Danish cooking, I don't know if this is authentic Danish Goulash, but it sounds good.
- 1 lb beef round steak
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- 1 onion, thinly sliced
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon brown sugar
- 2 cups boiling water
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- 1 tablespoon vinegar
- Lightly brown meat in vegetable oil in a heavy skillet.
- Add salt, pepper, onion, bay leaves, sugar and 2 cups water.
- Cook over low heat, covered 1 1/2 hours.
- Remove bay leaves.
- Combine flour, paprika, 1/4 cup water and vinegar; blend well. Gradually add to meat.
- Cook 10 minutes longer, stirring constantly until sauce is thickened.
I am so glad to find this recipe. I had it in my mother's old cook book and it got burned up. Thank you!!!!!
I have been searching for this recipe in my collections in a file at home. I had a cookbook years ago that I found it in--this sounds like the same recipe. I'm excited to try this out--if its the same, it will be wonderful!
Wow, I was just about to post almost the exact same recipe. My mother grew up in Buffalo, and this was one of my favorites when I was a kid.