Recipe by KPD
From Smoke & Spice Cookbook. If using entire brisket, double or even triple recipe. Prep time includes sitting in fridge overnight. Cook time varies depending on size of meat.
- 14.79 ml black pepper
- 14.79 ml paprika
- 14.79 ml chili powder
- 14.79 ml brown sugar
- 14.79 ml salt
- 4.92 ml cayenne
- 4.92 ml garlic powder
- 4.92 ml onion powder
- 907.18-1814.36 g beef brisket, trimmed flat-cut
Directions See How It's Made
- Combine spices to make a rub. Reserve 1 T rub for later. Rub brisket with remaining rub. Let sit in large ziplock in fridge overnight.
- Let brisket come to room temp for 45 min- 1 hr while smoker heats up to between 200-220 degrees.
- Smoke brisket for 3 hours.
- Wrap brisket in heavy duty foil, sprinkle with remaining 1 T rub and continue smoking until well-done and tender.
- ***Note: Briskets usually take 1 1/2 hours per pound in smoker. For slicing brisket thin, get internal temp to 180-190 degrees. For fall-apart tender, get internal temp to 195-205 degrees.
- ***Note: Trim brisket if fat is more than 1/4" thick. Make diagonal hatch marks across fat in a diamond pattern if necessary. Always smoke brisket with fat side up, the fat keeps the meat moist and juicy!