Crock Pot Chinese Brisket
- Ready In:
- 12hrs 10mins
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon mustard powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground allspice
- 1 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 3⁄4 cup soy sauce
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons shaoxing wine or 3 tablespoons dry sherry
- 1⁄4 cup honey
- 3 lbs flat-cut beef brisket (fresh, not corned beef)
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1⁄4 cup cold water
- In a large zip top bag, combine garlic powder, salt, pepper, mustard powder, cinnamon, cloves, allspice, ground ginger, oil, soy sauce, rice wine vinegar, shaoxing wine and honey. Add brisket. Press out as much air as possible, seal tightly, and refrigerate 6-8 hours, turning occasionally.
- Place brisket in slow cooker, and empty marinade over it. Cook on low 6-8 hours.
- Remove brisket to a plate, tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes. Meanwhile, skim off as much fat as possible from juices in slow cooker. Turn slow cooker up to high. Dissolve cornstarch in cold water, and drizzle into defatted juices. Stir until thickened.
- Slice brisket thinly, across the grain. Serve with gravy.
Questions & Replies
Got a question? Share it with the community!
Have any thoughts about this recipe? Share it with the community!
RECIPE SUBMITTED BY
I'm a 48 y/o gay Jewish man in the suburbs immediately north of New York City. I'm a general internist, practicing and teaching at a medical college north of NYC. I also earned a Masters in Public Health degree in 2013. After a Walt Disney World trip in Dec 2006 where I had to rent an electric scooter because I couldn't manage the walking, I decided to have gastric bypass surgery, which was done Feb 28, 2007. I lost 160 lbs (though I've gained back about 60 of that since). I can't eat as much as I used to, so I want every bite to be extra good!