Prep 20 mins
Cook 30 mins
Another great recipe from Relish mag.
- 1 1⁄4 cups sifted cake flour
- 1 1⁄2 cups plus 2 tablespoons sugar, divided
- 1 1⁄4 cups egg whites, at room temperature (about 10 eggs)
- 1 1⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cream of tartar
- 4 egg yolks
- 1 teaspoon grated orange rind
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
Orange Butter Frosting
- 1⁄3 cup butter
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons orange rind
- 3 cups powdered sugar, sifted
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons lemon juice
- Preheat oven to 375°F.
- To make the cake, sift together flour and 1/2 cup sugar. Beat egg whites in a large bowl until foamy; add salt and cream of tartar and vanilla. Beat until soft peaks form. Sprinkle in 1 cup sugar, 1/4 cup at a time, beating until just blended. Fold flour mixture into egg whites, 1/4 cup at a time, using a rubber spatula.
- Beat egg yolks with orange rind, orange juice, and remaining 2 tablespoons sugar until thick and light. Stir 1/3 of the egg white mixture into the egg yolk mixture.
- Scrape yellow and white batters into an ungreased 10-inch tube pan to give a marbled effect with white layer on top. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, (check about 20 min into the cooking) or until done. Invert pan; let cool. Remove cake from pan.
- To prepare frosting, combine butter, salt, orange rind and 1 cup powdered sugar in a mixing bowl. Beat with a mixer at medium-high speed until fluffy. Add remaining sugar and orange juice alternately, beating until smooth and spreadable. Beat in lemon juice.
- Frost sides and top of cake.