Prep 20 mins
Cook 3 hrs
I don't eat much duck, but my Dad just loves it, so I make this for him. I hope you'll enjoy it as much as he does!
- 1 (4 lb) whole duck, rinsed
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh basil leaf
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh gingerroot
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 orange, quartered
- 2 cups water
- 1 cup honey
- 1⁄2 cup butter
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice
- 1⁄2 cup undiluted thawed orange juice concentrate
- 2 -3 chopped fresh garlic cloves
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
- In a small bowl mix together mix together the basil, ginger and salt and sprinkle mixture on inside and outside of duck. Stuff duck with orange quarters and lay in roaster. Add water.
- In a small saucepan combine the honey, butter, lemon juice and orange juice concentrate. Simmer together over low heat until syrupy; pour a little of the mixture over the duck, saving the rest for basting. Cover roaster.
- Bake/roast ducks in preheated oven for 30 minutes. Turn duck breast down, reduce heat to 300 degrees F (150 degrees C) and roast covered for another 2 to 2 1/2 hours, or until very tender. Turn duck breast up during last few minutes of cooking, to brown.
if anyone is searching for a wonderful duck recipe please try this, I made it recently and it's fantastic, I did omit the basil as I did not have any at the time i will however add it next time, otherwise made no changes, this may be my new favorite duck recipe, thanks for sharing this great recipe Kitty I can see why it's your dad's favorite!
I tried it yesterday, I didn't know much about duck so I followed this recipe. And it was so delicious I'll probably stick to it like a baby duck sticks to his mother ;)
Yum! Not as greasy as some duck recipes. Just lovely and fragrant. Looks impressive too!