Recipe by glynn117
If you like curry, you've got to try this. It's perfect with a simple roast chicken, beef or pork. It's hot and spicy, tart and tangy, creamy and comforting, as only mashed potatoes can be!
- 3 lbs russet baking potatoes
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh ginger
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup plain low-fat yogurt
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 teaspoon black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Peel the potatoes and cut them into 1-inch chunks, dropping them into a large pot of cold water as they are cut.
- Add a big pinch of salt, cover, and bring to a boil over high heat.
- Boil until tender when pierced with a fork, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Drain and return to the hot pan.
- Meanwhile, melt 2 tablespoons of the butter in a large heavy skillet over moderate heat.
- Add the onion and saute until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the ginger and garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add 2 tablespoons water and stir constantly over high heat until the onion browns, about 3 minutes.
- Stir in the curry powder and cook for 3 minutes.
- Stir in 2 tablespoons water and remove from the heat.
- Add the spice mixture to the potatoes along with the remaining 1 tablespoon butter, the sour cream, yogurt, salt and pepper.
- Beat with a small electric mixer or mash with a potato masher until fluffy.
- Serve hot.