Prep 5 mins
Cook 28 mins
I found this recipe years ago in a kitchen gadget catalog. It sounded good, with simple instructions, requiring only a handful of ingredients, and easy to clean up after. As per a review, I added a potato to the soup, it was an improvement, more creamy.
- 1 large onion, peeled, halved lengthwise and cut into thin half moons
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon curry powder, to taste
- fine sea salt, to taste
- 1 potato, peeled, chopped (optional)
- 4 small zucchini, trim ends, half lengthwise, cut crosswise into 1 inch pieces (12 oz total)
- 4 cups chicken stock (vegetarian, substitute with vegetable stock)
- sour cream (optional)
- In 6-qt saucepan, combine first 4 ingredients and cook, stirring over medium heat to soften onion (4 min).
- Add potato, if using, and cook to soften (about 2 minutes).
- Add zucchini and cook until soft (4 min).
- Add stock and stir to blend.
- Bring to a boil over medium heat, then cover and simmer on low heat for 20 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and puree with a stick blender until vegetables are undistinguishable.
- Season to taste.
- Serve with a dollop of sour cream.
I made this lastnight and it was great!!! the whole family loved it, thank-you so much for posting. I think next time i will set some zucchini aside before blending so there will be some chunks. Also, today i warmed up the leftovers, and added a dolop of sor cream, this was great too. Thanks again i will make this again very soon.
Made this today and I didn't have a large onion; only half of one. So could have used more. I did use the potato. I used 2.5 TBL regular curry and 0.5 TBL hot curry. I used a little coconut oil, too, with the olive oil. I went through the puree step and added some chopped, sauted zucchini to the final product. Dollop of greek yogurt (no sour cream on hand). Tasty but I feel like it needs something *more* ...and maybe that's more onion or garlic. I saw some recipes that called for carrots, too, and that could help me find that little "extra" I'm looking for.
This is a great recipe! I used 1 1/2 tablespoons of hot madras curry powder. I also added garlic. So easy and so yummy.