Prep 40 mins
Cook 50 mins
Wild rice and aromatic vegetables, flavored with curry. There's a bit of prep but it bakes in the oven while you prepare the rest of your meal. Nice with salmon or chicken breasts.
- 1⁄2 cup wild rice
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 small onion, peeled and thinly sliced
- 1 small carrot, peeled and finely chopped
- 1⁄2 medium red bell peppers or 1⁄2 medium orange bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 stalk celery, finely chopped
- 1 -2 clove garlic, finely minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons curry powder (McCormick is nice)
- 1⁄2 cup converted rice (Uncle Ben's)
- 1 roma tomato, peeled and chopped
- 1 (14 ounce) can reduced-sodium chicken broth, plus
- 1⁄4 cup water, to equal 2 cups
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground black pepper (to taste)
- 1⁄8 teaspoon salt (to taste)
- Wash the wild rice in water to remove any debris. Place in a 2 qt sauce pan and cover with water, about 4 cups. Add 1/8 teaspoon salt. Bring to a boil, reduce heat, cover and cook at a low boil for 30 minutes. Drain and reserve.
- While wild rice is cooking chop vegetables.
- When wild rice has cooked for 30 minutes heat butter and olive oil in a large skillet until hot.
- Saute onion and carrot until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add bell pepper and celery, saute 3 minutes or until slightly softened.
- Add garlic, curry powder and converted rice, saute until fragrent and rice is well coated with oil.
- Add tomato, broth/water, salt, pepper and partially cooked wild rice.
- Bring to a boil and place in a lightly oiled/sprayed 2 qt casserole dish with cover.
- Cover and bake at 350, stirring half way through, for 50 minutes or until liquid is absorbed and rice is tender. The wild rice will still have a bit of chew.
- Prep time includes parboiling the wild rice.