Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
I have recently been on a hunt for some meat free dining options for a variety of reasons. I found this on vegetariantimes.com They sound amazing! "These Indian-inspired fritters also make great hors d’oeuvres—simply use scant 1-tablespoon dollops of the fritter mixture when cooking!"
- 3 large eggs
- 1⁄2 cup fine yellow cornmeal
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger
- 1 large sweet potato, peeled and grated (4 cups)
- 1⁄2 cup finely diced onion
- 1⁄2 cup frozen green pea, thawed
- 2 tablespoons poppy seeds (optional)
- 1⁄4 cup mango chutney (optional)
- Whisk together eggs, cornmeal, curry powder, and ginger in large bowl. Stir in sweet potato, onion, peas, and poppy seeds, if using. Season with salt and pepper, if desired.
- Heat large skillet coated with cooking spray over medium heat. Scoop sweet potato mixture onto hot skillet in 1/4-cup dollops, and reduce heat to medium-low. Cook 4 to 5 minutes, or until golden brown. Flip, and cook 4 to 5 minutes more, or until golden brown on second side.
- Transfer to plate, and keep warm. Repeat with remaining sweet potato mixture until you have 12 Fritters.
Very nice - a great and different dish. I found it most effective to give the mixture a good stir before adding the next batch to the pan to redistribute the egg mixture. Thanks for sharing! Veg*n Swap 37
These were really tasty, and a great change of pace from our usual potato sides. I was worried that the raw potato wouldn't cook enough during a quick pan-fry, but it worked out just fine. I did add quite a bit of seasoning to suit our family's tastes (read: we are saltaholics!). Also, make sure the "batter" is mixed in well, as some of ours didn't have quite enough and we had trouble getting them to stay together. Thanks for posting, Sarabeth!! Made for Veg Swap 37.