William (Uncle Bill) Anatooskin's Note:
A delighful slightly spicy shrimp or prawn dish. Quick and easy to make and is excellent over rice or pasta.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1/2 teaspoons sambal oelek (hot pepper sauce)
- 1 lb medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch or 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- 1In a large frying pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil, stir in curry powder and cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- 2Add minced ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- 3Add onion, celery and garlic; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- 4Add shrimp or prawns and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until prawns have just turned pink, (DO NOT OVERCOOK SHRIMP OR PRAWNS).
- 5Add sour cream and coconut cream and bring to boil, stirring continuously until smooth.
- 6In a small bowl, mix together tapioca starch and cold water until smooth.
- 7While sauce is boiling, add tapioca starch mixture in small amounts, stirring continuously until sauce thickens to the consistency of gravy.
- 8Serve over cooked rice, pasta of your choice, crisp pappadams or freshly cooked naans.
- 9Adjust Sambal Oelek to suit your taste.
- 10You can substitute and use whipping cream instead of coconut cream.
Browse Our Top Curries Recipes
You Might Also Like...View All Curries Recipes
Nutritional Facts for CURRIED SHRIMP or PRAWNS with SAMBAL OELEK
Serving Size: 1 (254 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 401.6
- Calories from Fat 256
- Total Fat 28.5 g
- Saturated Fat 11.8 g
- Cholesterol 184.9 mg
- Sodium 217.5 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 11.6 g
- Dietary Fiber 2.5 g
- Sugars 3.9 g
- Protein 25.9 g
The following items or measurements are not included: