Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 15 mins
Cook 15 mins
A delighful slightly spicy shrimp or prawn dish. Quick and easy to make and is excellent over rice or pasta.
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons curry powder
- 1 tablespoon minced fresh gingerroot
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 1 large celery rib, finely chopped (about 1 cup)
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons sambal oelek (hot pepper sauce)
- 1 lb medium-sized shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1⁄2 cup coconut cream
- 2 teaspoons tapioca starch or 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 3 tablespoons cold water
- In a large frying pan on medium-high heat, add olive oil, stir in curry powder and cook stirring for about 2 minutes.
- Add minced ginger and cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add onion, celery and garlic; cook and stir until onion is translucent, about 3 minutes.
- Add shrimp or prawns and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until prawns have just turned pink, (DO NOT OVERCOOK SHRIMP OR PRAWNS).
- Add sour cream and coconut cream and bring to boil, stirring continuously until smooth.
- In a small bowl, mix together tapioca starch and cold water until smooth.
- While sauce is boiling, add tapioca starch mixture in small amounts, stirring continuously until sauce thickens to the consistency of gravy.
- Serve over cooked rice, pasta of your choice, crisp pappadams or freshly cooked naans.
- Adjust Sambal Oelek to suit your taste.
- You can substitute and use whipping cream instead of coconut cream.