Prep 15 mins
Cook 40 mins
This is a great appetizer or main dish. Enjoy!
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons coriander seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons cumin seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons brown mustard seeds
- 1 1⁄2 teaspoons peppercorns
- 1⁄2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons oil
- 3 tablespoons butter, unsalted
- 2 large onions, finely chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 tablespoon fresh ginger, finely chopped
- 4 medium tomatoes, peeled and chopped (or 2 cups drained canned tomatoes)
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 lbs shrimp, peeled and de-veined
- In a mortar or blender, pulverize the coriander, cumin, mustard, peppercorn, hot peppers and bay leaves.
- Heat oil and butter in a large pan.
- Saute' the onions until brown.
- Add the garlic, ginger, and the ground spices.
- Cook stirring for 2-3 minutes.
- Add the tomatoes, lime juice, and salt to taste.
- Cover and cook for 30 minutes, until the sauce is quite thick and caramelized.
- Stir in shrimp and cook shrimp through, about 4-5 minutes.