Recipe by Cheri Lee
From Southern Living magazine, November 2006
Top Review by Hamm
This soup is absolutely delicious and everyone in my family has loved it! Even when you vary it a bit for less people it still comes out great and I would highly recommend it. It does take a little bit of time because there are many things to do and different steps but it is worth it.
- 1 large sweet onion, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon minced gingerroot
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 1⁄8 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 (15 ounce) cansunsweetened pumpkin puree
- 1 cup water
- 32 ounces fat-free low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (13 1/2 ounce) can coconut milk
- 2 tablespoons lime juice
- 2 1⁄2 teaspoons salt
Directions See How It's Made
- Saute onion in olive oil over medium high heat for 8 minutes or until tender.
- Add garlic and next 4 ingredients; saute one minute.
- Add pumpkin, 1 cup water and 1 cup of broth; bring to a boil. Reduce heat to medium; add coconut milk, lime juice and salt and simmer stirring often, 25 minutes.
- Remove from heat and cool.
- Process pumpkin mixture in batches, in food processor until smooth, scrape sides.
- Return mixture to saucepan and cook over medium heat until thoroughly heated through. Garnish with sour cream if desired.