Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
I had a very yummy pumpkin soup at Bilbo Baggins, one of my favorite restaurants in Old Town Alexandria, VA. I asked the server what was the special ingredient. It was a curry powder--so mild that a non-curry eater would like it. I went home and tried to recreate it. It can be easily modified to be vegan.
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin or 1 (15 ounce) can squash
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock or 3 -4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 -2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1⁄2-1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, lightly crushed
- garlic-flavored croutons
- parmesan cheese
- In a large stock pot blend first 8 ingredients adding stock slowly to adjust to personal thickness tastes.
- Adjust brown sugar, curry powder and other seasonings to taste (curry powders vary in intensity).
- Add the lightly crushed clove of garlic.
- Simmer for 30 minute.
- Remove garlic clove and serve garnished with crutons and parmesean cheese.
I followed the recipe only using 2 cups of chicken stock and omitting the cayenne pepper. It tastes wonderful! It only took about 10 minutes to make so I'll be making this often.