I had a very yummy pumpkin soup at Bilbo Baggins, one of my favorite restaurants in Old Town Alexandria, VA. I asked the server what was the special ingredient. It was a curry powder--so mild that a non-curry eater would like it. I went home and tried to recreate it. It can be easily modified to be vegan.
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 (15 ounce) can pumpkin or 1 (15 ounce) can squash
- 3 -4 cups chicken stock or 3 -4 cups vegetable stock
- 1 -2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 1 -2 tablespoon dark brown sugar
- 1/2-1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 clove garlic, lightly crushed
- 1In a large stock pot blend first 8 ingredients adding stock slowly to adjust to personal thickness tastes.
- 2Adjust brown sugar, curry powder and other seasonings to taste (curry powders vary in intensity).
- 3Add the lightly crushed clove of garlic.
- 4Simmer for 30 minute.
- 5Remove garlic clove and serve garnished with crutons and parmesean cheese.
Browse Our Top Bisques/Cream Soups Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Pumpkin Soup
Serving Size: 1 (118 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 10
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 48.5
- Calories from Fat 8
- Total Fat 0.9 g
- Saturated Fat 0.2 g
- Cholesterol 2.1 mg
- Sodium 220.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 8.2 g
- Dietary Fiber 0.2 g
- Sugars 4.3 g
- Protein 2.2 g