Prep 10 mins
Cook 30 mins
Chutney with truly delectable taste with crunch of curry and onions !
Make and share this Curried Papaya Chutney recipe from Food.com.
- 2 fully ripe papayas (seeded and finely chopped)
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1⁄4 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup brown sugar
- 1 tablespoon mustard seeds (Crushed)
- 3⁄4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 1 tablespoon curry powder
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- Put a heavy bottomed pan over medium heat and add vinegar,water, sugar and mustard and bring to boil.
- Cook until liquid becomes syrupy.
- Add papayas and curry powder, salt, garam masala.
- Cook 2 minutes more, stirring constantly.
- Remove from heat and mix in onion.
- Cool to the room temperature.
- Pour in jar and refrigerate for 5 days before using.
Made this recipe using freshly made Garam Masala (176687). I wanted to can the chutney and give it away for Xmas presents, so I did change the cooking directions some what. Basically dumped everything into the pot and cooked for 30 minutes. I did use the hot water bath treatment. This recipe gave me 7 little half pint jars. Note: I found that using my canner, these jars got "lost" so I washed small decorative pebbles (the ones you get at a nursery), placed them in an old stock pot, filled the pot half way up the jars and processed for 10 minutes. They stayed in place and worked like a charm. The chutney tasted great from the pot...think how great it would be once it has mellowed a bit!!!