Prep 15 mins
Cook 30 mins
This was SO good! It's from Worldwide Recipes, courtesy of "The Chef" and was a quick and delicious recipe for dinner. I love garbanzos AND lentils...but my little carnivore daughter and my DH liked this too :)
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 cup onion, finely chopped
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 1 green bell pepper, seeded and diced
- 2 celery ribs, cut into 1/4-inch slices
- 3 cups broth (you can make this totally vegan if you use veggie broth)
- 1 1⁄2 cups dried lentils
- 1 (19 ounce) can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed (chick peas)
- 1 -2 garlic clove, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh gingerroot (grated)
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- cayenne pepper
- 1⁄4 cup orange juice
- chopped fresh scallions (to garnish) or fresh cilantro (to garnish) or parsley (to garnish)
- Heat the oil in a large skillet over moderate heat. Cook the onion, tomatoes, red and green bell peppers, and celery for about 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Add the remaining ingredients except the cilantro, parsley, and scallions.
- Cover and simmer over low heat for 25 to 30 minutes.
- Serve over rice.
- Sprinkle cilantro or parsley and chopped scallions on top.