Prep 5 mins
Cook 10 mins
this is an ultra quick version of the fish stew my mother used to make - pure velvety comfort
Make and share this Curried Fish Stew, Goan Style recipe from Food.com.
- 907.18 g grouper (can also use sole, mahi-mahi or other light, non flaky fish)
- 59.14 ml fresh lemon juice
- 8.62 ml salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 19.71 ml fresh minced ginger
- 236.59 ml coconut milk
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml brown sugar
- 2.46 ml black pepper
- 1.23 ml turmeric
- 0.25 ml cayenne pepper
- 1-4 jalapeno
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 177.44 ml water
- 14.79 ml canola oil
- combine lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, and fish:allow to marinate outside refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Seed, core, and chop the tomatoes into cubes, slice onion, mince jalepenos.
- Puree garlic, ginger, coconut milk, coriander, cumin, sugar, pepper, cayenne, and turmeric in a blender.
- Heat oil and cook onion until golden: add tomato and cook 5 minute.
- Add puree, jalepenos, water, and remaining 3/4 tsp salt and bring to a simmer.
- Add fish and 1 tbsp of the marinade and simmer until fish is cooked.
Very tasty and easy. I did omit the jalapeno, substituted a dash or two of Frank's hot sauce for the cayenne and added a tablespoon of Asian fish sauce. Served it in a bowl over a heaping spoonful of rice. Definitely a make again.
SO HAPPY I FOUND THIS AGAIN!!! I made this for my family (husband, son, mom & dad) and we all ABSOLUTELY LOVED this dish. I didn't and wouldn't change a thing, everyone scaped their plate and the pot! I wrote it down on a piece of paper that got ruined and couldn't remember what it was called since I wasn't looking for a curry recipe in the first place, but now I found it. Anyway so happy I found it that I'm making it tonight!
Delicious. Not big fans of too much spice so dropped the Jalepenos and it still tasted great. Also added 250gm broad beans (peeled) 125gm baby beans and diced potatoes (skin on). Prepared these separately and added at the end and cooked for a further five minutes. A meal in itself and great for anyone not so keen on fish - my son commented on how nice the chicken was :-0 Thanks for sharing this recipe, will use it again.