Recipe by afr0bunny
this is an ultra quick version of the fish stew my mother used to make - pure velvety comfort
Top Review by EyeGuy
Very tasty and easy. I did omit the jalapeno, substituted a dash or two of Frank's hot sauce for the cayenne and added a tablespoon of Asian fish sauce. Served it in a bowl over a heaping spoonful of rice. Definitely a make again.
- 2 lbs grouper (can also use sole, mahi-mahi or other light, non flaky fish)
- 1⁄4 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1 3⁄4 teaspoons salt
- 2 garlic cloves
- 4 teaspoons fresh minced ginger
- 1 cup coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1⁄4 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 pinch cayenne pepper
- 1 -4 jalapeno
- 1 onion
- 2 tomatoes
- 3⁄4 cup water
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
Directions See How It's Made
- combine lemon juice, 1 tsp salt, and fish:allow to marinate outside refrigerator for about 10 minutes.
- Seed, core, and chop the tomatoes into cubes, slice onion, mince jalepenos.
- Puree garlic, ginger, coconut milk, coriander, cumin, sugar, pepper, cayenne, and turmeric in a blender.
- Heat oil and cook onion until golden: add tomato and cook 5 minute.
- Add puree, jalepenos, water, and remaining 3/4 tsp salt and bring to a simmer.
- Add fish and 1 tbsp of the marinade and simmer until fish is cooked.