Prep 30 mins
Cook 20 mins
Posted for ZWT 2006 - South Africa - From www.funkymunky.co.za
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- 1 teaspoon mild curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon strong curry powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon garam masala
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1⁄4 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 whole cinnamon stick
- 1⁄2 cup chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon apricot jam (to taste)
- 12 medium potatoes
- 8 hard-boiled eggs, shelled and cut into wedges
- 1 cup plain yogurt
- 1⁄4 cup mayonnaise
- fresh ground black pepper
- fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in a pan and sauté the onion and garlic over medium heat until tender and glossy.
- Add the spices and cinnamon stick and stir-fry for another minute then add the stock and stir in the apricot jam. Stir until the jam has melted and bring to the boil. Reduce the temperature, cover and simmer the sauce slowly for 15 minutes until slightly reduced and thickened. Pour the curry sauce into a mixing bowl and cool slightly.
- Boil the potatoes in lightly salted water until cooked and drain. Skin the potatoes while still hot and cut into uniform pieces. In a large bowl, add the potatoes and egg wedges, reserving a few.
- Blend the yoghurt and mayonnaise with the curry sauce and season with salt, black pepper.
- Pour three-quarters of the salad dressing over the potato slices and mix lightly. Chop half the cilantro sprigs and stir into the salad.
- Spoon the salad into serving bowls, top with the remaining egg wedges and finish with a scoop of the curry dressing.
- Garnish with extra cilantro or lemon leaves. Serves 8.