Recipe by Shelly K
This is spicy, but not too spicy. It's full of flavor and no one ingredient is overpowering. I think it'd be great over plain rice. This is from an old Cooking Light cookbook (1987).
- 2 lbs boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1⁄8 teaspoon pepper
- cooking spray
- 1 medium cooking apple, peeled and chopped
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1⁄2 cup celery, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 cup water
- 1⁄4 cup raisins
- 2 teaspoons curry powder
- 2 teaspoons orange rind
- 4 chicken bouillon cubes
- 1⁄8 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1⁄4 cup unsweetened orange juice
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
Directions See How It's Made
- Sprinkle chicken with pepper.
- Spray a Dutch oven with cooking spray and put on a burner on medium heat.
- Add chicken and brown on each side.
- Remove chicken and set aside.
- Rinse Dutch oven and recoat with cooking spray.
- Add apple, onion, celery, and garlic.
- Cook at medium heat stirring constantly until veggies are tender.
- Stir in water and next 5 ingredients.
- Return chicken to Dutch oven.
- Bring to a boil.
- Cover, reduce heat and simmer for 40 minutes or until chicken is tender.
- Combine orange juice and cornstarch, stirring until blended.
- Stir into Dutch oven. Bring to boil and cook 1 minute or until slightly thickened.