Quinoa is a wonderful thing to have on hand. It is considered a supergrain because it is a complete protein. You could use another grain in this recipe and I'm sure it would be just as yummy. The recipe is fairly simple, and consists of the types of ingredients that I usually have on hand, particularly in the spring and early summer when fresh asparagus is on sale. I hope you enjoy it!
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1 1/2 cups water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil or 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 small chopped onion (about 1/2 c)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon grated fresh ginger
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon grains of paradise or 1/4 teaspoon pepper, ground
- 1 bunch asparagus
- 1 cup frozen peas or 1 cup fresh peas
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 1/4 cup white wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 2 tablespoons mango chutney
- 2 teaspoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons curry powder (adjust to taste preference)
- 1 teaspoon dry mustard, ground
- 1Soak the quinoa in enough water to cover for at least 15 minutes. drain and rinse well several times.
- 2Bring 1 1/2 cups of water to boil; add quinoa, cover, reduce heat to low, and cook for 20 minutes or until quinoa is cooked and water is absorbed.
- 3Meanwhile, prepare salad mix. Trim woody ends from asparagus, and chop into 1 inch pieces.
- 4If using frozen peas, rinse in a colander under cool water to thaw.
- 5In a large skillet heat 1 tb of olive or vegetable oil over medium high heat.
- 6Add chopped onion and garlic, and saute until onion is soft and translucent.
- 7Add ginger, cumin, and grains of paradise or pepper and stir to mix.
- 8Add asparagus and peas to skillet and cook until veggies are just done, but still crisp and bright in color.
- 9Add cooked quinoa to the salad mixture in the skillet.
- 10Prepare dressing. Combine extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, lemon juice, chutney, sugar, curry powder, and mustard in a jar and shake until mixed.
- 11Pour dressing over contents of skillet and mix well to combine.
- 12Refrigerate for a few hours to let flavors marry and develop.
Browse Our Top Grains Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Curried Asparagus Quinoa Salad
Serving Size: 1 (229 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 4
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 509.5
- Calories from Fat 303
- Total Fat 33.7 g
- Saturated Fat 4.6 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 70.4 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 45.1 g
- Dietary Fiber 7.2 g
- Sugars 6.5 g
- Protein 11.0 g
The following items or measurements are not included:
grains of paradise
white wine vinegar