- 1⁄4 cup butter
- 2 large onions, sliced thin
- 2 (10 ounce) cans beef consomme soup
- 1 (10 ounce) can beef broth
- 2 (10 ounce) cans water
- 5 ounces cans red wine
- fresh ground black pepper
- 1 French baguette, sliced and toasted
- 6 slices emmenthaler cheese or 6 slices gruyere cheese
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large pot, saute onions in butter over medium heat until caramelized and golden brown.
- Add consomme, broth, water and red wine.
- Season with pepper.
- Simmer until hot.
- Ladle soup and onions into 6 bowls.
- Top each bowl with a slice of baguette and cheese.
- Brown under a preheated broiler until cheese is bubbling and browned.
- Serve immediately.