This is from an amazingly beautiful book called "Mangoes & Curry Leaves". These were so good and would definitely be fantastic in a pita with a bit of tzatziki. The recipe below is as it is in the book, but I added a bit more salt and topped off with a bit of lemon or lime juice.
- 453.59 g lean ground beef
- 118.29 ml grated onion
- 4.92 ml minced ginger (or ginger ground to a paste) (optional)
- 4.92 ml ground cumin
- 4.92 ml ground coriander
- 1.23-2.46 ml cayenne (adjust for your heat preference)
- 4.92 ml salt
- 59.14 ml plain yogurt
- 4.92 ml rice vinegar
- 59.14-118.29 ml packed chopped coriander leaves (or 1/4 cup minced mint leaves)
- vegetable oil
- In a large bowl, mix the meat, ginger (optional), onion, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, yogurt and vinegar. Mix well with your hands, mashing and kneading to blend the flavors and get a smooth texture.
- Mix in the coriander leaves or mint leaves.
- With wet hands shape and firmly press the meat into eight ovals or rounds 3/4-inch thick.
- You can then grill the patties on a lightly oiled rack under medium heat, turning after 5 minute and continuing to cook until done. You can also broil them 5 to 7 inches from heating element turning them occasionally and cooking for about 8 minute or pan fry them 3 to 4 minutes on each side.