Recipe by C. Taylor
This is from an amazingly beautiful book called "Mangoes & Curry Leaves". These were so good and would definitely be fantastic in a pita with a bit of tzatziki. The recipe below is as it is in the book, but I added a bit more salt and topped off with a bit of lemon or lime juice.
Top Review by Pesto lover
Excellent recipe! The seasonings result in a wonderful blend of flavor, with no one overpowering the others. This is so quick and easy to make. Made them, barbecued them and had them on the table with basmati rice, peas and a salad in under 25 minutes. Thanks for sharing a recipe that I will include in regular rotation at my house.
- 1 lb lean ground beef
- 1⁄2 cup grated onion
- 1 teaspoon minced ginger (or ginger ground to a paste) (optional)
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon ground coriander
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne (adjust for your heat preference)
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1⁄4 cup plain yogurt
- 1 teaspoon rice vinegar
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 cup packed chopped coriander leaves (or 1/4 cup minced mint leaves)
- vegetable oil
Directions See How It's Made
- In a large bowl, mix the meat, ginger (optional), onion, cumin, coriander, cayenne, salt, yogurt and vinegar. Mix well with your hands, mashing and kneading to blend the flavors and get a smooth texture.
- Mix in the coriander leaves or mint leaves.
- With wet hands shape and firmly press the meat into eight ovals or rounds 3/4-inch thick.
- You can then grill the patties on a lightly oiled rack under medium heat, turning after 5 minute and continuing to cook until done. You can also broil them 5 to 7 inches from heating element turning them occasionally and cooking for about 8 minute or pan fry them 3 to 4 minutes on each side.