This recipe is very tasty and different from the usual cucumber and onion salad. It is richer in flavor, because I use (VEGENAISE - ORIGINAL) instead of mayonaise. Use the "Original" not the grapeseed vegenaise. Vegenaise is FREE of dairy, eggs and glutens. You can buy Vegenaise at Sprouts or Vitamin Cottage. The red kidney beans and mushrooms also make it different from the usual cucumber salad, but very delicious. Everytime I make this salad, my husband comes back for seconds and thirds. I always double the recipe. It makes a wonderful side dish to any meal. NOTE: You may want to soak the cucumbers in salted water first then drain & blot dry with a paper towel before adding to ingredients, this keeps your cucumbers from making the vegenaise watery.
- 3 -4 cucumbers (sliced thick, See Above NOTE)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 small red onion (sliced very thin)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- sea salt (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise (ORIGINAL)
- dill weed (to taste, can use fresh or dry, I use plenty if using dry)
- Put the first (5) ingredients in a bowl and mix, then set aside.
- In another small bowl mix the Vegenaise & Dill together.
- Blend the Vegenaise mixture and the Cucumber mixture together.
- Refridgerate for about 15 - 20 minutes before serving.
- ENJOY !
I'm a fan of Vegenaise already (Try it with smashed avacado!) so I tried this recipe becuase of it. It's WONDERFUL and my vegan boyfriend loves it!
I was appointed to make a vegetable salad for a dinner and I didn't want to make the usual green lettuce salad, so I thought about a cucumber salad but I wanted it to be different then the usual cucumber and onion salad, so I went on to food.com and pulled up recipes for cucumber salads and found this one, which I thought sounded interesting. I didn't have the Vegenaise at home so I ran to the Sprouts to get some. When I put this salad on the table, everyone just kinda looked at it, but after everyone had tried it, I was bombarded with "Let Me Have This Recipe". This is a very delicious cucumber salad that is very different from the original cucumber salad recipe and it was a big hit. Now I am asked by my family to make this for them at least once a week (there are NEVER any left overs). This is definately a KEEPER! The Vegenaise definately is a richer flavor & is very delicious in other dishes also.