This recipe is very tasty and different from the usual cucumber and onion salad. It is richer in flavor, because I use (VEGENAISE - ORIGINAL) instead of mayonaise. Use the "Original" not the grapeseed vegenaise. Vegenaise is FREE of dairy, eggs and glutens. You can buy Vegenaise at Sprouts or Vitamin Cottage. The red kidney beans and mushrooms also make it different from the usual cucumber salad, but very delicious. Everytime I make this salad, my husband comes back for seconds and thirds. I always double the recipe. It makes a wonderful side dish to any meal. NOTE: You may want to soak the cucumbers in salted water first then drain & blot dry with a paper towel before adding to ingredients, this keeps your cucumbers from making the vegenaise watery.
- 3 -4 cucumbers (sliced thick, See Above NOTE)
- 1⁄4-1⁄2 small red onion (sliced very thin)
- 1 (15 1/2 ounce) can red kidney beans (rinsed & drained)
- 1 (4 ounce) can mushrooms (drained)
- sea salt (to taste)
- 1 -2 tablespoon vegan mayonnaise (ORIGINAL)
- dill weed (to taste, can use fresh or dry, I use plenty if using dry)
- Put the first (5) ingredients in a bowl and mix, then set aside.
- In another small bowl mix the Vegenaise & Dill together.
- Blend the Vegenaise mixture and the Cucumber mixture together.
- Refridgerate for about 15 - 20 minutes before serving.
- ENJOY !