Recipe by cookiedog
A healthy salad that will cool you down in the heat of summer. The combination of the ingredients are very refreshing. This recipe would be wonderful to take to a bar-b-que or as a side for burgers, ribs, grilled chicken or even Carne Asada.From "Tasty" by Roy Finamore.
Top Review by kindcook
This salad was light and fresh. I used canned pineapple instead of fresh (all I had on hand) and only 1 1/4 TBS of olive oil, as I don't like my salads too oily (the juice from the pineapple coats everything nicely anyway). I really liked the idea of mixing veggies (cucumber) with fruit (pineapple) together- very clever! The mint gave it a nice kick. Served it with BBQ Mahi Mahi and it complemented the fish nicely. Thanks!
- 1 small pineapple (or half a large one)
- 2 English cucumbers (seedless)
- 1 red onion
- 1⁄4 cup chopped of fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- coarse salt & freshly ground black pepper
Directions See How It's Made
- Slice top and bottom off of pineapple, stand pineapple on a cutting board, and slice off the peel with a sharp knife. Next, lay pineapple on its side and cut out the eyes. Cut pineapple in half the long way, cut each half in half again, and cut out core. Cut each quarter into bite-size pieces and drop them into a wide salad bowl.
- Cut off ends of cucumbers and discard. Slice cucumbers into 1/4 inch thick rounds and add to pineapple. Slice onion into thin half moons and add to salad.
- Add mint, drizzle on the oil, and season with salt and pepper. Toss. Serve right away or cover and refrigerate for a few hours.