24 hrs 20 mins
Chef #214774's Note:
Recipe is courtesy of a brochure for La Zaragozana Restuarant in Old San Juan, PR. We were there years ago and everything was delicious. (If you go, try their Castillan Garlic Soup also)
My Private Note
Units: US | Metric
- 1Soak beans in water overnight.
- 2Add salt and boil beans until soft.
- 3Crush garlic and mix with cumin, oregano and vinegar.
- 4Set aside.
- 5Cut onions and peppers into very small pieces.
- 6Saute in olive oil until the onions are brown.
- 7Add garlic and spice mix and cook slowly.
- 8Drain 1/2 of the water from the beans and add to cooked mixture.
- 9Continue cooking slowly until ready to serve.
- 10Garnish with one soupspoon of rice marinated in finely chopped raw onion, with olive oil and vinegar.
- 11A small amount of sour cream adds a wonderful flavor.
Browse Our Top Black Beans Recipes
Nutritional Facts for Cuban Black Bean Soup
Serving Size: 1 (535 g)
Servings Per Recipe: 6
- Amount Per Serving
- % Daily Value
- Calories 453.1
- Calories from Fat 219
- Total Fat 24.4 g
- Saturated Fat 3.4 g
- Cholesterol 0.0 mg
- Sodium 2338.9 mg
- Total Carbohydrate 49.8 g
- Dietary Fiber 8.7 g
- Sugars 2.5 g
- Protein 9.7 g