Prep 24 hrs
Cook 20 mins
Recipe is courtesy of a brochure for La Zaragozana Restuarant in Old San Juan, PR. We were there years ago and everything was delicious. (If you go, try their Castillan Garlic Soup also)
- Soak beans in water overnight.
- Add salt and boil beans until soft.
- Crush garlic and mix with cumin, oregano and vinegar.
- Set aside.
- Cut onions and peppers into very small pieces.
- Saute in olive oil until the onions are brown.
- Add garlic and spice mix and cook slowly.
- Drain 1/2 of the water from the beans and add to cooked mixture.
- Continue cooking slowly until ready to serve.
- Garnish with one soupspoon of rice marinated in finely chopped raw onion, with olive oil and vinegar.
- A small amount of sour cream adds a wonderful flavor.
I made again with 2 teaspoons salt, and it is outstanding!
Excellent! I only made a few changes as I went along to give it the consistency I wanted. I added a red pepper and a little bit of "all purpose" gluten free flour to thicken it. I would have used corn starch but we were out. Absolutely tasty! I served it with gluten free corn bread.
YUM!!!! Great soup!