Prep 15 mins
Cook 20 mins
- 4 medium green tomatoes
- 1⁄2 cup flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1⁄2 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 large egg
- 1 tablespoon milk
- 5 cups corn flakes, coarsely crushed
- 1⁄4 cup unsalted butter
- 1⁄4 cup vegetable oil
- Cut tomatoes in 1/2 inch slices.
- In shallow dish beat together flour, salt, sugar, and cayenne.
- In another shallow dish mix together egg and milk.
- Put the crushed corn flakes in a third shallow dish.
- Dredge tomato slice in flour mixture, shake off excess,.
- dip into egg mixture, let excess drip off;.
- coat with cornflakes pressing tomato to adhere.
- Arrange slices in one layer on baking sheet.
- In large non stick skillet heat 1 TBL butter and 1 TBL oil over medium heat til foaming subsides.
- Fry 3-4 slices at a time, (about 3 minutes each side.) til golden brown.
- adding butter and oil as needed.