Prep 20 mins
Cook 7 hrs
Adapted from a recipe at http://bit.ly/71kWTW
Make and share this Crockpot Rouladen recipe from Food.com.
- 1 1⁄2 lbs round steaks
- 1⁄4 cup stone ground mustard
- 6 slices bacon
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 dill pickle spears, chopped
- 1⁄4 cup flour
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 1 (16 ounce) package baby carrots
- 1 cup beef stock
- 1⁄2 cup sour cream
- 1 tablespoon flour
- ground black pepper
- Cut steak into 6 equal portions. Place each piece between two layers of plastic wrap and pound with a mallet or rolling pin until about 1/4" thick. Spread each piece with mustard and set aside. Place carrots in bottom of 5-6 qt slow cooker.
- Cook bacon in skillet until crisp. Drain on paper towels. Meanwhile, in bacon grease left in skillet, saute onions until tender, about 5 minutes. Remove onion to a bowl with slotted spoon. Add chopped pickles. Crumble bacon and add to onion mixture. Divide equally amongst pieces of beef; roll each piece around the filling and secure with kitchen twine. Dredge in flour, tapping off any excess.
- Add butter to any remaining bacon grease. When foaming subsides, add beef rolls and brown 1-2 minutes on each side. As each is finished, transfer to the slow cooker on top of the carrots. Pour beef stock over all. Cover and cook on low 6-7 hours until carrots are tender and beef is very tender. Remove beef with tongs; carefully remove strings. Remove carrots with a slotted spoon.
- Combine sour cream and flour; stir well. Add to liquid remaining in slow cooker and stir well. Turn heat to high. Return beef and carrots to pot and cover. Cook 10-20 minutes until thick. Season with salt and pepper to taste. Serve hot.
Sauce doesn't thicken. We'll try it again with whole veggies instead of diced.