Prep 15 mins
Cook 8 hrs
An easy vegetarian version of tortilla soup. I'm writing it here in its basic, mild form, but you can turn up the heat by adding tabasco, using a hot enchilada sauce, or throwing in some diced jalapeno or chipotle.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 8 ounces enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups mock chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 ounces frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 5 corn tortillas
- Combine all ingredients except tortillas in crockpot, cook on low 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly spray both sides of tortillas with nonstick cooking spray. Cut into thin strips (about 2.5" x 0.5") and spread onto baking sheet. Bake, turning occasionally until crisp, 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips over hot soup and serve immediately.
I LOVED this soup! Although I made it on the stovetop and not the crockpot, it was still just as easy to make. I just simmered it for about 45 minutes. It was very tasty, filling and pretty healthy as well. Loved the crispy baked (not fried) tortilla strip garnish. Thanx for this recipe!
This was so so good! Didn't change a thing, loved the crispy tortilla topping! Just added a little cheese and it totally satisfied my craving for Mexican Food - but much healthier! Thank you for sharing.