An easy vegetarian version of tortilla soup. I'm writing it here in its basic, mild form, but you can turn up the heat by adding tabasco, using a hot enchilada sauce, or throwing in some diced jalapeno or chipotle.
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes with green chilies
- 8 ounces enchilada sauce
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups vegetable broth or 4 cups mock chicken broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 10 ounces frozen corn
- 2 tablespoons cilantro, chopped
- 5 corn tortillas
- Combine all ingredients except tortillas in crockpot, cook on low 8 hours.
- Preheat oven to 400°F Lightly spray both sides of tortillas with nonstick cooking spray. Cut into thin strips (about 2.5" x 0.5") and spread onto baking sheet. Bake, turning occasionally until crisp, 5-10 minutes.
- Sprinkle tortilla strips over hot soup and serve immediately.