Prep 30 mins
Cook 4 hrs
I haven't tried this yet, but it's hard to go wrong with Leanne- and this looks scrumptious, along with the variations! This is a Menu Mailer recipe, taken from a FlyLady Digest.
- 2 (793.78 g) can diced tomatoes (undrained)
- 1 large onion (chopped)
- 4 garlic cloves (pressed)
- 29.58 ml olive oil (divided)
- 2 large carrots (chopped)
- 2 small celery ribs (chopped)
- 1 medium turnip (chopped)
- 473.18 ml green beans (cut in 1-inch pieces)
- 1419.54 ml chicken broth (or vegetable broth)
- 0 head cabbage (chopped)
- 2.46 ml thyme
- salt and pepper
- 2 small russet potatoes (peeled and chopped)
- In a large soup pot, heat the one tablespoon of the olive oil over medium high heat.
- Add the onion and cook till nearly translucent.
- Now add the garlic. Don't let the garlic brown and saute another couple of minutes.
- Add the rest of the chopped veggies, sauteing for just a minute or two; the extra tablespoon of olive oil is if you need it for the rest of the veggies. Remember--you're not cooking them-- just sauteing them for the wonderful flavor this quick step will infuse in your soup.
- Add the thyme and salt and pepper while sauteing.
- Now put the veggies in the crock pot, add the tomatoes and broth.
- Cook on low 7-9 hours (depending on your crock pot) or high 4-6 hours.
- Just before serving, gently mash some of the potato chunks against the side of the crock pot to thicken the soup, give it a stir and serve.
- SERVING SUGGESTIONS: Grilled cheese sandwiches on whole grain bread and a spinach salad.
- Quick Fixes for Variations on the Basic Veggie Soup: Now remember, don't do these to the whole pot of soup! Just the little bit you pull out to fix yourself for lunch, etc. so that you can do all the Quick Fixes.
- Quick Fix #1: Tex Mex Veggie Soup. Add some (eyeball it--how much do you want?) canned black beans (drained and rinsed), a little bit of cumin and chopped cilantro. Top with some tortilla chips and cheese, or serve with a quesadilla.
- Quick Fix #2: Tuscan Veggie Soup. Add some (eyeball it again) canned cannellini (white kidney beans) or white beans (drained and rinse), a little bit of Italian seasoning and some chopped kale. Cook till heated through and the kale is tender.
- Quick Fix #3: Minestrone Veggie Soup. Add some cooked pasta, a little dried basil and top with a fresh grating of Parmesan cheese.
- Quick Fix #4: Autumn Veggie Soup. Add some diced acorn squash or butternut squash, a handful of cooked brown rice, a sprinkling of nutmeg and some chopped parsley.
I made this soup yesterday, followed the instructions exactly. I had to throw the whole thing out. It was disgusting. What a waste of money. I would not recommend this soup. It didn't even look like the picture that's shown above the recipe and part of that is because of all the tomatoes and juice that's added.
Vegan Version: Made some changes because of health and dietary restrictions: No salt, no oil and no animal products. I water-sauteed the veggies (versus oil sauteed): used a little (teaspoon) to saute the onions; added the other veggies at intervals and added water (teaspoon at a time) to keep from burning; used a heavy pot (I used all-clad brand; can use cast iron; anything heavy to avoid burning; you only need a tad of water -- don't want to boil veggies). Also, for the broth I used water (versus chicken broth) because my husband is vegan. 2 of our kids require gluten-free, so this recipe is great for that. This soup got RAVE reviews from my husband and one of our college students. Looking forward to adding the kale tonight. Easy easy easy to make this. And if you are trying to cut back on salt and fat, this can totally be done with this recipe. Looking fwd to adding the Kale for tonight to change it up with the leftovers. :-)
This soup is absolutely what vegetable soup SHOULD taste like! It is awesome and full of flavor. The directions were very clear (be sure to sautee as stated - it does make a big difference!). I did not put in the turnips or cabbage as some in my family do not like, but otherwise followed the recipe exact. This is now my favorite and only way to make this soup. Just make some homemade bread and you have a great meal. Talk about comfort food!!!!