Made This Recipe? Add Your Photo
Prep 10 mins
Cook 6 hrs
Here's a twist on the usual Mexican carnitas...add some BBQ spices and citrus juices and you have this Tex Mex dish. Serve on lettuce leaves for a low carb option. (Recipe is from lifeasaplate.com)
- 2 -3 lbs pork roast (butt or shoulder works best)
- 1⁄4 cup yellow onion, diced
- 1⁄4 cup diced green chilis (canned is okay)
- 1 teaspoon fresh garlic, minced
- 1 1⁄4 cups diced tomatoes (a 15 oz can works)
- 1 tablespoon cumin
- 2 teaspoons onion powder
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1⁄2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon honey (or agave)
- 2 teaspoons lime juice
- 2 tablespoons orange juice
- 1⁄2 cup barbecue sauce
- cheddar cheese, for serving
- guacamole, for serving
- chopped tomato, for serving
- corn tortilla, for serving
- Spanish rice, for serving
- refried beans, for serving
- Place roast in crock pot.
- Mix all other ingredients (except items for serving) and pour over roast.
- Cover and cook on low 6-8 hours.
- About an hour prior to eating (if possible), shred the pork with a fork and stir.
- Serve in lettuce bowls/wraps or tortillas and any other suggested toppings.